MMI and Barron’s announced the winners of the 2019 MMI/Barron’s Industry Awards at MMI’s 2019 Annual Conference yesterday in Atlanta. Now in their eleventh year, the Industry Awards recognize innovation and achievement in the investment advisory solutions industry.
“Asset and wealth management are experiencing an accelerated rate of change,” said Craig Pfeiffer, MMI President and CEO. “The MMI/Barron’s awards honor firms that have demonstrated outstanding leadership and innovation, raising standards by creating cutting-edge advisory solutions and programs. MMI is proud to recognize the winning firms for their efforts to drive improved investor outcomes and address critical industry issues.”
Sterling Shea, Global Head of Wealth & Asset Management at Dow Jones, which is the publisher of Barron's, added, “These awards celebrate groundbreaking efforts being made across the investment advisory industry by asset managers, sponsor firms, and solutions providers to create better results for both advisors and the investors they serve. Barron’s is honored to co-present the awards again this year with MMI.”
The winners in the 11 award categories this year are:
Digital Innovation: honoring a new technological innovation (or specific enhancement to an existing platform or tool) that enhances the investor or advisor experience with advisory solutions
- Morgan Stanley – Morgan Stanley Portfolio Risk Platforms – a proprietary risk tool that helps financial advisors analyze an entire investment portfolio, including assets held away, enabling them to help clients better understand their total holdings and make more informed decisions regarding market risk.
“Doing Good”: honoring programs that support a deserving cause or give back to the communities we serve
- American Century Investments – Prosper with a Purpose – for its unique ownership model that results in funding for lifesaving medical research, which will benefit all of humankind, through the Stowers Institute for Medical Research.
Inclusion: honoring efforts to promote inclusion and enhance workplace diversity in the investment advisory solutions industry
- Edward Jones – Inclusion & Diversity Mentoring Program – a firmwide program that fosters mentoring relationships, encourages relationship building, and helps employees maximize their potential in an inclusive business environment.
Sustainable Investing: honoring programs that support awareness and adoption of sustainable and ESG investing
- Morgan Stanley – Morgan Stanley Impact Quotient – a powerful new analytical tool that helps investors gain insight into the impact of their investment portfolios by providing transparency and suggestions across three distinct dimensions of impact: exposure, alignment, and activation.
Distribution Excellence: honoring firms that provide exemplary and innovative advisor sales support both in the field and from the home office
- J.P. Morgan Asset Management – Data Driven Coverage & Advisor Resource Team – an innovative data-driven approach that allows the firm’s client advisors to serve more financial advisors consistently through a mobile-ready territory management tool and by targeting underserved advisors in remote locations.
Thought Leadership/Education: honoring new programs, research, educational campaigns, or content that meaningfully advance industry knowledge and understanding of topics key to the future of advisory solutions
- Russell Investments – 2019 Value of an Advisor Survey – a comprehensive program, with both advisor- and client-centric content, that takes a quantitative, data-driven approach to articulating the value that advisors provide to their clients.
Disruption: honoring a groundbreaking new product, technology, or process that will fundamentally alter the future delivery of advisory solutions
- Envestnet – Envestnet MoneyGuide’s MyBlocks – an innovative client engagement tool comprised of a broad range of short digital tools, called blocks, that facilitates incremental financial education for clients through an engaging visual interface.
- Just Invest LLC – Just Invest Direct Indexing – modern asset management technology that gives advisors the ability to create highly customized, tax-efficient direct indexes based on clients’ needs and values, including ESG, SRI, and multi-factor options for hyper-personalization.
Sponsor Platform of the Year: honoring a sponsor platform that exemplifies innovation in delivering better outcomes for investors and financial advisors
- Morgan Stanley – Modern Advice Platform – offers a comprehensive technology platform that leverages the firm’s investment advice and solutions to enable financial advisors to deliver a repeatable, customized, dynamic wealth strategy to help clients achieve their financial goals.
Asset Manager of the Year (AUM of $25 billion of less): honoring a smaller asset manager that exemplifies innovation in delivering better outcomes for investors and financial advisors
- Horizon Investments – Goals-Based Investment Management Solutions – offers investment strategies and interrelated financial planning technology tools that enable financial advisors to align clients’ wealth with their life goals and where they are on the "wealth curve."
Asset Manager of the Year (AUM of more than $25 billion): honoring a larger asset manager that exemplifies innovation in delivering better outcomes for investors and financial advisors
- Eaton Vance – Investment and Wealth Management – offers advanced investment strategies and wealth management solutions, including a diversity of investment approaches through its principal investment affiliates, and exemplary sales, technology, and service.
Solutions Provider of the Year: honoring a solutions provider (technology or service provider) that exemplifies innovation in delivering better outcomes for investors and financial advisors
- LifeYield – LifeYield Income Advantage – first-of-its-kind software offering advisors and their clients the ability to leverage sophisticated technology to create intelligent withdrawals from all their accumulated assets in order to minimize taxes and maximize after-tax income.
Proceeds from the 2019 MMI/Barron’s Industry Awards Dinner benefit MMI’s Gateway to Leadership Foundation, a 501(c)(3) organization that fosters career awareness and workforce readiness for aspiring minority students who may not have a natural path to a career in the financial services industry.