2023 MMI Legal & Compliance Seminar
October 26 , 2023
New York, NY | Offices of Morgan Lewis | 8:30 AM - 6:00 PM ET
Jessica Howell, Senior Counsel, MFS Investment Management
Todd Cook, Managing Director & Associate General Counsel, JP Morgan
The MMI Legal & Compliance Seminar is back and in person for the first time in over four years!
The investment advisory industry is facing what has been described as a tsunami of regulatory changes. The impact of these developments will be far-reaching. Join MMI and our Legal & Compliance Community on October 26th to gain critical insights and perspective to navigate the rapidly evolving regulatory landscape. This year’s MMI Legal & Compliance Seminar is one that you can’t afford to miss.
During this single-day conference – tailored to senior business executives, chief compliance officers, and their legal advisors – a host of business leaders and regulatory experts will unpack the important issues you need to be on top of.
Session highlights include:
- Survey of Current Developments and Pending SEC Proposals
- Business Developments in the Managed Accounts Arena
- Navigating the Complexities of ESG
- SEC Exams and Enforcement Focus on Managed Accounts
- Current Marketing Rule Issues with Managed Accounts
- Retirement Account Developments
- Evolving SEC Expectations with Retail Advice Offerings
- The Evolving Technology Landscape – AI, cybersecurity, electronic delivery, etc.
Attendance is limited and restricted to MMI Members. This event is closed to the media.
Agenda (Click to Expand Agenda)
Thursday, October 26, 2023
|8:30 AM - 9:00 AM|
|Registration & Continental Breakfast|
|9:00 AM - 9:05 AM|
|Welcome & Introductions|
|9:05 AM - 9:50 AM|
- Steve Stone, Partner, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, LLP
|9:50 AM - 10:30 AM|
|Business Developments in the Managed Account Area |
• Developments in distribution, including dual contract arrangements and models
• Use of alternative investments, crypto and other so-called complex products
• Focus on 401(k) plan participant discretionary advice
• Direct indexing and use of fractional shares
• Technology developments
• Approaches to managing “not held” assets
|10:30 AM - 10:45 AM|
|10:45 AM - 11:30 AM|
|Navigating the Complexities of ESG|
• Proposed SEC rules
• SEC enforcement actions and sweeps
• State anti-ESG rulemaking and other initiatives
• Global requirements and initiatives
|11:30 AM - 12:15 PM|
|SEC Exams and Enforcement focus on Managed Accounts|
• Share class and sweep selection
• Account inactivity
• Best execution and trading away
• Undisclosed compensation and conflicts
• Custody issues
|12:15 PM - 1:15 PM|
|1:15 PM - 2:00 PM|
|Current Marketing Rule Issues with Managed Accounts |
• Performance presentation issues, including use of hypothetical performance
• Testimonials and endorsements, including through social media
|2:00 PM - 2:45 PM|
|Retirement Account Developments |
• PTE 2020-02 and related reporting
• QPAM – Amendments to PTE 84-14, Individual Exemptions
• Ongoing ESG/Proxy Controversy
• Householding Issues
• Independent Fiduciaries -- Delivering Model Advice
|2:45 PM - 3:00 PM|
|3:00 PM - 3:45 PM|
|Evolving SEC Expectations with Retail Advice Offerings |
• SEC staff guidance seeking to harmonize interpretation of obligations across workers and advisors following Regulation Best Interest
• Account type recommendations
|3:45 PM - 4:30 PM|
|Technology Developments |
• Use of AI and technology governance
• Electronic delivery and innovations to promote broader enrollment
• SEC focus on “off-channel communications”
• Technology governance
|4:30 PM - 4:45 PM|
|Summary & Closing Remarks|
|4:45 PM - 6:00 PM|
1 Hour, 15 Min(s)
Partners & Sponsors
MMI Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Pioneer Sponsor
|Type||Registration Date||Member Fee|
|Advance||Launch - October 6||$795.00|
|Standard||October 7 - October 25||$895.00|
Leadership Pathway &
|Launch - October 25||$716.00|
A fee of $100 will be added to registrations processed on-site.
- A Volume Discount of 10% off the Standard fee applies once 2 registrants from the same firm register for the Seminar at the prevailing full price. Only full-price registrations are considered in determining eligibility for the Volume Discount. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for the volume discount code before registering.
- Members of the 2022-2023 Leadership Pathway classes and 2022-2023 Executive IQ cohorts are eligible for a 20% discount off the standard registration fee. Email email@example.com for the appropriate discount code before registering.
Please contact MMI at Events@mminst.org with any questions.
All cancellations are subject to a $100 cancellation fee. Full refunds minus the $100 cancellation fee will be granted for cancellation requests received prior to 5:00 PM ET on Friday, October 13th. After that time, no refunds will be granted. Your registration can be transferred to another individual at your firm without penalty. To cancel or transfer your registration, please contact MMI at 646-868-8500.
MMI Conference Code of Conduct/Antitrust Guidelines and Compliance Policy
Money Management Institute (MMI) conferences and events provide an opportunity for MMI members and other industry participants to come together for educational and networking purposes. Inappropriate behavior, such: as possible illegal conduct; use of derogatory or discriminatory language, gestures or actions; verbal or physical abuse of any type, unwanted advances or invasions of privacy; or any activity that might be construed as harassment, racism, or sexism, is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.
If you aware of, or are involved in, an incident at an MMI conference or event that violates this Code of Conduct, please contact MMI immediately. MMI will promptly and confidentially investigate any reported activities and take appropriate action.
Please also familiarize yourself with the MMI Antitrust Guidelines and Compliance Policy.
Health and Safety Protocols
MMI continues to monitor the ongoing COVID situation. The safety of our attendees is our top priority. Please check this page regularly for updates.
The venue currently has no mask or vaccine requirements for indoor spaces.
By registering for this event, you acknowledge and agree to abide by any safety protocols and guidelines that MMI shall establish for the health and safety of 2023 MMI Legal & Compliance Seminar attendees.