Money Management Institute (MMI) is the national organization for the advisory solutions industry, representing portfolio manager firms and sponsors of investment consulting programs. Financial advisor’s employing managed investment solutions on behalf of their clients typically perform several valuable services including development of a sophisticated analysis of the client’s financial needs, determination of appropriate investment objectives, and the selection and monitoring of independent professionals who manage the client’s funds according to specific disciplines and styles.
MMI was organized in 1997 to serve as a forum for the industry’s leaders to address common concerns, discuss industry issues and work together to better serve investors. The Institute is the leading advocate for the industry on regulatory and legislative issues.
MMI’s membership comprises:
- Firms that offer comprehensive financial consulting services to individual investors, foundations, retirement plans and trusts
- Related professional portfolio management firms
- Firms that provide long term services to both sponsor, manager, and vendor firms.
Membership is not available to investment advisors or individual investors.
MMI’s Communications and Data Standards Committee describes, diagrams and defines a standard set of operating and communications process flows and message specifications for the Advisory Solutions industry. The committee serves as the SMA industry repository for current and future standards. The MMI Standards are copyrighted to the Money Management Institute.
The MMI’s Board of Governors identifies and oversees tasks that will benefit advisors solution investors, the industry, and its member firms. The MMI’s primary role and functions include:
- Educating prospective investors about the benefits of financial consulting/advisory solution services
- Increasing the professionalism of financial consultants who work with advisory solutions
- Facilitating industry growth by reducing/mitigating operational hurdles serving as an expert resource to regulators and participating in public policy discussions that may affect managed advisory solutions investors and MMI member firms
- Creating and maintaining a comprehensive database to provide a definitive source of information on managers and sponsor
- Serving as a forum for senior executives to address industry issues