2017 MMI/Barron’s Industry Awards – Winners Announced
The winners of the 2017 MMI/Barron’s Industry Awards were announced on October 3rd at MMI’s 2017 Annual Conference in Chicago. Now in their ninth year, the Industry Awards recognize innovation and achievement in the advisory solutions industry over the past year.
“These annual awards celebrate leadership and honor firms that have raised the bar by delivering ground-breaking investment advisory solutions and related programs for financial advisors and investors,” said Craig Pfeiffer, MMI President and CEO. “As we celebrate our twentieth anniversary, MMI is proud to recognize the winning firms – and all the nominees – for programs that set higher standards for investment advisory solutions and address important industry issues.”
Bill Golden, MMI Board Advisor, and Bill Baldenko, Vice President, Financial Advertising at Dow Jones & Company (the publisher of Barron’s) presented the awards at the 2017 MMI/Barron’s Industry Awards on Tuesday night. “These awards highlight the innovative efforts being made across the advisory solutions industry by asset managers, sponsor firms, and solutions providers to improve the advice delivery process and create better outcomes, both for advisors and the investors they serve. Barron’s is honored to co-present the awards with MMI,” said Baldenko.
The winners in the seven award categories this year are:
Technology – honoring advances in financial advisor- or investor-facing technology
- BlackRock – iRetire – technology that can help advisors work with their clients to achieve their retirement income objectives, while enhancing the advisor’s practice-management efficiency and deepening client relationships
Product Innovation – Asset Managers – honoring new and innovative investment advisory products and solutions from asset management firms
- NextShares Solutions – NextShares – a new way to invest in actively managed strategies through exchange-traded managed funds
Product Innovation – Sponsor Firms – honoring new and innovative investment advisory products and solutions from sponsor firms
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch – Merrill Lynch One – an integrated advisory platform enhanced in 2017 by the addition of fee-based annuities, brokered CDs, and hedge funds for both retirement and non-retirement accounts
Investor Education – honoring campaigns and programs to inform and educate investors on critical financial/investment advisory topics
- Morgan Stanley – Family Wealth Education – a program that provides a customized wealth education curriculum for family members to help them understand subjects critical to successfully managing family wealth
Advisor Development – honoring practice management programs to make financial advisors more effective and productive
- Morgan Stanley – Elevate Practice Management e-University – an innovative online learning platform delivering practice management training to financial advisors through an ongoing, customized training process designed to strengthen the advisor’s skills and practice
Doing Good – honoring programs that support a deserving cause or give back to the communities we serve
- Envestnet – Envestnet Institute On Campus – a program designed to interest college students in the asset and wealth management industry by creating awareness of career possibilities, providing foundational training, and connecting them with potential employers
Diversity – honoring efforts to promote and increase workplace diversity in the investment advisory solutions industry
- Brinker Capital – Corporate Culture – a corporate culture and workplace that emphasizes not only the importance of client relationships, but embraces the ideas of diversity and family through target recruitment, mentoring programs, internal task forces, and the deep commitment of senior management
Proceeds from the 2017 MMI/Barron’s Industry Awards Dinner will benefit MMI’s workplace diversity program, Gateway to Leadership, a 501(c)(3) charity. The Gateway to Leadership program provides career awareness programs, industry education, internships, and full-time, entry-level placements for aspiring college students from diverse backgrounds who may not otherwise have a natural pathway into the financial services industry.
At the awards dinner, the MMI Board of Governors also honored Matt Witkos, President of Eaton Vance Distributors, Inc., as its 2017 MMI Advisory Solutions Pioneer, an annual award that recognizes individuals who embody MMI’s mission to serve as advocates and catalysts for the evolution of the advisory solutions and wealth management industry. An accomplished sales and marketing executive, Mr. Witkos has spent his career refining the art of investment distribution and championing the role that professional investment management plays in helping individual investors achieve their financial goals and dreams.
MMI congratulates all winners and nominees of the 2017 MMI/Barron’s Industry Awards!